Breadcrumbs

Alternator Replacement

More
09 Aug 2024 06:53 #7 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Alternator Replacement
The 660 is in an AirGizmos dock, using airplane power and tied into my intercom and radio. I've heard it's a more sensitive device and it might pick up alternator noises that the intercom and radio don't. I've ordered a noise filter (looks like a capacitor I have in old car distributers) and I'm going to put that on my alternator. We'll see what happens!
Thanks for all the information!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2024 22:48 - 08 Aug 2024 22:52 #8 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Alternator Replacement
Larry if you haven't resolved your alternator problem yet, checkout Aerotech, Louisville, KY. Good people, been around for years, FAA approved, and list the ones they work on web page.
Years ago, common with noise problem, hang a big fat capacitor on the dc buss close as possible to the noise generator/source - the old rotating beacons when motor brushes/bearings started to wear and earlier strobes.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2024 22:52 by Edward Moore. Reason: add word

More
07 Aug 2024 03:08 #9 by Brooks McNew
Replied by Brooks McNew on topic Alternator Replacement
The detail about the noise going away when you're Aera 660 is turned off is interesting. That unit draws so little power that I would think it's a negligible increase in alternator load.

Is your Aera running on its internal battery, or is it hooked to ship's power? The power cord contains a switching power supply and those can get noisy... But then why does that noise vary with RPM???

If your Aera has always been connected (especially via that "cigar lighter" plug) I'd love to know if the noise stops if you unplug it and let it revert to the internal battery.

More
03 Aug 2024 18:23 #10 by Larry Snyder
Alternator Replacement was created by Larry Snyder
I’ve been getting a whine in my headset that varies with engine speed and battery state. It goes away if I turn off my aera 660. Not too practical. 
This is a sign that the diodes in the alternator are getting weak. Replacing the alternator is very expensive! I bought the entire Plane Power alternator conversion kit for $950 in 2006 or so. Now just the alternator is over $2000. 
Is there a place where I can get the alternator overhauled legally and fairly inexpensively?
I ordered an “alternator filter” from Chief Aircraft to see if it can suppress my alternator noise. I’ll report back after I’ve tried it. It looks like the $5 capacitor you used to use in your old distributor with points. But it had a PMA number on it that makes it worth $100…
Anyone have experience with these types of noise filters?
If I can find a place to overhaul the alternator I’m going to plan on it.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds