Breadcrumbs

Add TCP or No

More
30 Aug 2021 18:31 #1 by John Trowbridge
Replied by John Trowbridge on topic Add TCP or No
My protocol for TCP or MMO -- I measure out sufficient solution for each wing tank ... 1 oz for TCP (HARD to withdraw ... anyone have an easier way??) or 4 oz for MMO -- I ordered liquid proof glass vials with tight "sealer" in top, put 2 of either into sealable ZIP-LOCK bag, available easily for each fueling. I check RPM changes as a I lean during preflight and choose the best setting ...... and I watch the temps to be sure not overheating on climb out. While flying, I lean aggressively to get max RPM -- getting new CHT probes and instrument, so I can stay just lean of peak. C-85 and O-200. JPT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Henry Pasquet
26 Aug 2021 19:57 #2 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Add TCP or No
I lean as much as possible while taxiing. On run up, lean to max RPM and then push the mixture control about half way in. This will richen the mixture slightly. It will produce more power than full rich, while not over leaning. This is most necessary on hot days. I lean conservatively in flight.

More
26 Aug 2021 16:18 #3 by Victor Yordan
Replied by Victor Yordan on topic Add TCP or No
Would you mind sharing more of your leaning strategy with the O-200? I just got a 415-D with O-200-A and want to start her on the right track since I only have about 130 hrs since major O/H in 2014.

Thanks,

VY

More
18 Aug 2021 19:18 #4 by John Trowbridge
Replied by John Trowbridge on topic Add TCP or No
For many years now, I've used TCP (or MMO) for each fuel filling -- and I also have used AvBlend (or CamGuard) with great success.  I also use -- and really appreciate! -- an EngineSaver dehydrator to keep lower humidity inside the engine.  Also, I lean quite aggressively, watching RPM carefully THEN CHT -- EGT has never been of much value during flight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

• Henry Pasquet
18 Aug 2021 15:15 #5 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Add TCP or No
I had a C-90 with a M/S carb.You can't hurt the engine leaning at 1500 RPM, so you can lean until the RPM starts to drop. I lean this way also on my O-200 and have not had the plugs cleaned or any problems in 5 years. I have flown Continentals since 1964 and have NEVER had a stuck valve. I use TCP. I lean very little in flight.

More
18 Aug 2021 13:56 #6 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Add TCP or No
Leaning below 1500 rpm does nothing on my engine. How are you leaning on taxi, because I'd love to.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds