Breadcrumbs

Add TCP or No

More
16 Jun 2021 17:49 #7 by John Trowbridge
Replied by John Trowbridge on topic Add TCP or No
I've used TCP for years, even in AutoGas STC'd engines. The idea is simple ..... lead can gum up the works. However, lead also helps to seat valves and so on. No harm in trying TCP for 10 tankfuls and seeing if you see performance you like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2021 13:59 #8 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Add TCP or No
As I said, 2 stuck valves in 16 years/1600 hours with 100LL and no TCP. I do put Avblend in my oil every change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randy Branson

• Henry Pasquet
20 Apr 2021 13:54 #9 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Add TCP or No
I have used TCP for many years and have never had a valve problem. I also lean while taxing. It is worth the time and money.

More
20 Apr 2021 13:39 #10 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Add TCP or No
Thanks for the reply Larry.  I'm not going to use mogas either.  However, I'm trying to determine if TCP is worth the cost and effort.   Should I use it to help avoid lead fouling?

More
19 Apr 2021 13:59 #11 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Add TCP or No
I have 1600+ hours on my Ercoupe using 100LL in that time I’ve had 2 stuck exhaust valves, both after long, hot flights. I cannot say, of course, if they would have stuck on mogas. But I do not trust auto fuel.

More
19 Apr 2021 12:50 #12 by Randy Branson
Add TCP or No was created by Randy Branson
I've got a '46 415D.  It has very little leaning capability.  Cessna's with the Continental of older vintage had to have TCP added to keep from fouling the valves.  I've asked about adding it to my C85 and have not gotten a solid yes or no.  Even with "aggressive leaning" (as aggressive as I can anyway) I seem to have one Mag that tends to drop lower than the other.  Yeah, I know, no biggie if within 75 RPM of each other and no more than 150.  But, still, I'll pull the mixture on that mag to clear it off and get a better drop from both to L & R.  I'm wondering would TCP help?  Is TCP necessary with 100LL since it's really an 87 octane engine?  I don't want to have to start replacing or "unsticking" exhaust valves due to fouling.

Please tell me what your experiences and recommendations are for adding TCP to the gas.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds