Breadcrumbs

Nose wheel assembly

• Alex Gilson
  • Topic Author
22 Apr 2023 13:47 #13 by Alex Gilson
Replied by Alex Gilson on topic Nose wheel assembly
Jerry, remarkable timing - that is indeed the same one I've got! Curious, what do you have under that outer washer? I'd love it if you could document the order of objects up from the bearing to see if we've got the same parts.

I'll tell you that I've searched a great length for a diagram of this wheel assembly, thus far without success.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2023 12:01 #14 by Jerry Nograsek
Replied by Jerry Nograsek on topic Nose wheel assembly
I just took this one off the nose of my 415-C yesterday. It seems to be the same type we are discussing. I was surprised to see no snap ring on it. 
Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2023 13:15 #15 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Nose wheel assembly
I don't know but with buy-out and other type of reasons Firestone may have sold to Goodyear or whatever. They could be the same design. But these do not have a grove for snap ring also.

• Alex Gilson
  • Topic Author
19 Apr 2023 16:30 #16 by Alex Gilson
Replied by Alex Gilson on topic Nose wheel assembly
Thank you for the info! The wheel is Firestone, not Goodyear - would the same likely be true? Any ideas on where I could get a diagram of it? This wheel is on the ercoupe's type certification sheet (Firestone DFA531), but I can't find any drawings of it. 

More
19 Apr 2023 00:36 #17 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Nose wheel assembly
This sounds like a Goodyear 952419/2 from a Cessna 150 with a pressed seal retainer - Fork, spacer bearing with the same on the others. this keeps the wheel from slipping sidewards... If you will, can you get the Bearing and race numbers to me. I have two I need to rebuild. With the seal there is no sideward movement to push it out of place, so no retainers were needed.

• Alex Gilson
  • Topic Author
18 Apr 2023 12:45 #18 by Alex Gilson
Nose wheel assembly was created by Alex Gilson
Hoping to get some assistance from the group - my A&P and I are a bit stuck. 

Over the weekend we were working on the nose wheel of the coupe (415C, with dual forks and Firestone DFA531 5.00x5 wheel assembly). 

All of the diagrams we can find look something variation of this:  imgur.com/a/zjWJn1P  (with the same assembly in reverse on the opposite side). Not shown in the diagram is a spacer that sits between the wheel assembly and the fork on each side.

What concerns us is that we have a washer in the place of the snap ring, and there's no indent that a snap ring could sit behind in any case to hold in the bearing assembly. So the stack, from fork to wheel, is: spacer -> washer -> grease seal ring -> felt grease seal -> grease seal ring -> bearing cone -> bearing cup -> wheel.

Does anyone know if this is the typical assembly for the firestone 5.00x5 wheel? I think this wheel comes from later model ercoupes (Forneys, perhaps Mooneys). Perhaps it's in a later model parts manual?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds