Breadcrumbs

Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?

More
15 May 2023 15:29 #19 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
  I just did the 1320 STC a couple of months ago... All paperwork... My instructor and I are probably 430 with bags and headsets... He and I have flown for dozens of hours with full tanks and hot dry Calif weather. I have never had any issues with weight of load... My weight is 824 before us humans and gasoline step in... I have fabric wings and zero rudder pedals... I too have heavy AI and all steam instruments... One thing, you will notice when the passenger gets out of the airplane, it starts to fly like it wants to have more fun...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2023 23:57 #20 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
The plane may have weight 750 when it was born, but that was bare naked. No electrics, battery, interior, paint, rudder pedals, etc. They have all grown up since then. Somewhere around 900 is more typical for our geriatric planes.

• William McCormick
  • William McCormick's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 May 2023 21:14 #21 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
Roger that and agreed, never want to go over gross, goal is to keep it safe and get home in one piece to show it off to my wife. :)

More
13 May 2023 21:03 #22 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
I don’t encourage anyone to fly over gross, but remember that this same airframe was later flown legally at 1400 and 1450 pounds. The weight restriction was more a function of preventing stalls and spins. If you watch your speed the airplane will perform just fine. Even overloaded I don’t know of an Ercoupe that spun in, but it will break on a stall and give you a start!

• William McCormick
  • William McCormick's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 May 2023 20:54 #23 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
Roger that and thank you Larry. I found that site and will ask my mechanic about it. Extra 60lbs can help as long as it is not detrimental to performance. I've got a 374nmi trip to get it home. With an estimated 5gph am thinking of breaking it into 3rds at about 124nmi each leg, topping off at the stops. I'm 195 my CFI is 175 and 10 or so lbs of baggage so it will be about as tight as my 150 was.

More
13 May 2023 20:48 #24 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Weight & Balance and Fuel Capacity?
The Ercoupe does well even heavy. I wouldn’t worry about that. The 1320 STC requires limiting elevator up travel to 9 degrees (from 13), like the D models. Some folks don’t like that limited travel. Most don’t notice it. Here’s a link to the STC:

alphaaviation.com/ercoupe-1320-gross-weight-increase-stc/

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds